CATCH A HOT ONE, and maybe some other Art of Drowning-turns-17 musings

Glad to see this thread took off over the weekend.

-Agreed about tape hiss, string noises, etc. making it onto album recordings. I love that in general.
-When “The Great Disappointment” came out I definitely said something along the lines of “This chorus kinda sucks and sounds like Linkin Park or something”. The song has grown on me a little since then. Still glad I caught it live once this year just to cross it off the list. Ha.
-Ever and a Day might be my least favorite AoD song, but I agree people seem to connect with it when I’ve seen it live, so that’s cool.
-Paper Airplanes feels like the Weathered Tome/Catch a Hot One analog on Sing the Sorrow to me. Fast song buried in the second half of the record that never gets played live. (Although Paper Airplanes became somewhat of a regular this year and seemed to get a really good reaction at the shows I saw.) At this point the average AFI crowd is maybe just excited for any StS song since that seems to be the fan favorite record? I definitely wouldn’t complain if they started cutting StS songs and replacing them with more Burials and Blood and newer stuff on future tours.

I love the small details in songs.

For instance, during the guitar intro of Morningstar you can really faintly hear what I’m assuming is a clicktrack.

In the version of Porphyria on the Black Sails EP, there’s no guitar feedback at the very end of the song like the BSitS version.

There’s a sample between Crop Tub and Cruise Control on FitO. I never noticed it until someone else pointed it out.

There’s some weird kind of sample loop at the very end of Your Name Here on ATaSF

An extra guitar plunk on Two of a Kind off VPoY

There’s a little bit of extra double tracking right after the last “So fuck you” in Cruise Control on VPoY

After the bottle crack on ATaSF’s Half-Empty Bottle, someone (I’m assuming Geoff) says “Drums are good, I gotta do it over.”

2 Likes

Yes! I’ve noticed that too and I wondered about it for years. When I was younger I thought maybe it was a metronome, very faintly, lol. You can also hear it on God Called in Sick Today. I’ve been meaning to listen to Clove Smoke Catharsis to see if it’s there too, but I’m assuming it is.

There’s a song on Very Proud of Ya I think, can’t remember which, but I seem to remember it’s at the beginning of No Dave Party, where you can hear someone plugging something in (second guitar played by Davey’s step-dad, maybe?)

I also seem to remember being able to at times hear the creak of the piano and muffled thump of the pedals during the spoken word poem. Although I had thought that was recorded electronically, so I might be thinking of a different song by a different band…

Also, Davey inhaling during The Leaving Song. :joy:

1 Like

I just noticed an audible bit of distortion at 1:30 in the Leaving Song.

1 Like

To put it in better context, the “I’m gonna go upstairs and fuck your grandmother” clip is at the end of side A of Fly.

Couple more good ones from oldies:
-The Behind the Times version of Cereal Wars starting with Davey saying something like “You know we’re actually paying to record this? Like, money.”
-At the end of Man in a Suitcase, “Who gives a shit? No one’s ever gonna listen to this anyway.”

I might be off on the exact wording of those right now. At work so I can’t check. This topic could probably be its own spinoff thread.

2 Likes

I just listened to that part a few times and I still don’t hear it. Then again I’m listening on shitty laptop speakers at the moment.

Could be the digital version I have, but I checked a YouTube video and it’s there too.

I’ll have to listen to it sometime later, I need to get my ass back to work. :laughing:

Damn this message board, I spend an inordinate amount of time here now, especially when I should be doing other things…

2 Likes

LOL, I’m curious… are you on here more via mobile or desktop? :slight_smile:

Lol both probably, I like the mobile version, but I’m probably on here like 1/3 of the time on my laptop because one of my jobs I work remotely so I often have my laptop with me. Just easier for me to read because of the larger screen.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like