Post Your AFI Collections

Damn, you have a Dork too? Wait, I think I already knew that…

Regardless, it is awesome to have Dork owners on here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Acidpickle has two copies!

2 Likes

WHAT THE UFCK… FUCK, @Acidpickle???
#jealousyreignsman

LOL!

2 Likes

…I swear I have a problem @insectpins @storms

5 Likes

I’ll admit. I’m posting this to boast (hopefully) since I don’t have a Dork, LOL.

No but really, this skate deck was on the Nitro store years ago and was limited to 500. I remember being at a friend’s house and I was my routine to stalk the AFI stores in case items like this appeared. Viola.

6 Likes

Yeah that Crush EP CD is hands down my most prized piece.[quote=“STORMS, post:18, topic:231”]
Your collection is impressive. Naturally, I’m trying to find things that I have and you don’t (LOL!). Do you have many AFI shirts?
[/quote]

I sold off my shirts. Never really been that interested in collecting them.

On another note… Here is my collection of shiny, silvery AFI things:

12 Likes

I’m really jealous. I’ve only got the Blood Pendant, unfortunately.

2 Likes

What was going to be on the Crush EP? It was mostly stuff that ended up as bonus tracks on various versions of Crash Love, right?

1 Like

Track list:

1. Fainting Spells
  2. Carcinogen Crush
  3. The View From Here
  4. Ether
  5. 100 Words

I also have a copy of the DU mastering CD from Sterling Sound

2 Likes

I used to have all of those pins. They’re still around, but not sure where they are. I never got rid of them.

1 Like

All those copies of Answer That reminded me of a story that is probably as appropriate in this thread as anywhere. Back in 2000 or so, some friends and I were at a Best Buy and found a copy of the second Wingnut version of Answer That (the one with the front cover title bigger and on two lines). Weird thing to find at Best Buy, right? Nitro distributed their stuff pretty well and some Best Buy stores had a surprisingly thorough CD selection at the time, but a Wingnut version? Unexpected. Anyway, my friend bought it, and it got even weirder. She opened it, and a mid-late 1998 era Nitro order form was inside. (I just pulled it out to check the order form date, as this copy of the CD eventually came into my possession when she liquidated most of her CD collection a while back. Haha.)

My only theory is that at some point Nitro must have obtained a bunch of the remaining Wingnut copies, repackaged them with order forms, and then sent them out as if they were their own.

6 Likes

I think I bought this on eBay 10 years ago. Had it on at a meet & great, Jade said " Awesome shirt, i had a white one years ago". I have seen white ones it collections but not black. The tag is gone so I don’t know who made it.

5 Likes

Trying to save my moldy posters… :frowning:

They look a lot better now (here). I don’t think I still have my STS poster… :frowning:

I hope that one day I have an AFI mancave.

5 Likes

I have a white one. It’s stained but I kinda don’t care since it’s just a collector’s item for me.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t care either, it’s an awesome shirt, and a scene from Taxi Driver which is an epic movie.

3 Likes

Here’s something I forgot I had, it’s a promo copy of ATASF. Admittedly, the only thing that makes it promotional is the hole in the barcode and the post-it note. I bought it from a guy that used to work for Gearhead Magazine, this is what he had to say about it:

“Original PROMO CD, with machine punched hole through the UPC code on the traycard. Includes a post-it sized slip of paper with the Wingnut Records stamp on it and the words “Review this, please” written on it, most likely in Joel Wingnuts handwritting. This was the promo sent to Gearhead Magazine in 1995, exactly as it arrived.”

It wasn’t until years later I was going through the booklet and found that sticker inside it.

6 Likes

Probably only a handful of these in existence… that is incredible.

2 Likes

Oh, that reminds me of a kind of similar story. My copy of Behind the Times came from a guy I used to work at a record store with like 12 years ago. He was a few years older than me and ran a punk distro in the early 90s. At some point he stopped doing that and put a bunch of stuff in storage at his mom’s house, including a copy of Behind the Times that AFI sent him when it was released, trying to get him to pick up a few copies wholesale or whatever. (Unfortunately he did not still have whatever correspondence they sent him with it.) That copy then sat at his mom’s house for years until I snagged it.

4 Likes

You all having these stories makes me think of my (I think) Behind the Times transaction. This fellow on eBay and I started talking. He claimed to have known the band. He was also part of “Scary Kid Skateboards”. He sent me a Scary Kid sticker and sent me a photo of Davey where he’s showing off his Heart too. He also sent me photos of the original lineup. These photos seem quite rare as I’ve never seen them online at all.

Here’s two of the photos:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWBtRVyn9Uu/

3 Likes

Nice. Yeah, I’ve never seen those pictures. Also notable, more Nitro anomalies: Using a picture of a blonde Davey from early 1997 on that Black Sails promo. Haha, why?

Along the same lines, I assume some of you guys probably have the Art of Drowning promo poster from Nitro. At the bottom, it has some “Out now on Nitro” text, and small pictures of the other releases. Ever notice that Answer That is the original Wingnut cover?

3 Likes