What non-AFI have you been listening to lately?

Really getting into Motionless in White. Really liking the newest album.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I listened to Tiger Armyā€™s Power of Moonlite for the first time last night and I canā€™t believe Iā€™ve lived this long without hearing it. Iā€™ve only ever heard Music From Regions Beyond but this is an entirely different level. I didnā€™t know Davey did guest vocals on many of these songs. ā€œUnder Saturnā€™s Shadowā€ is fucking incredible. Amazing lyrics. Iā€™ve been wearing the shit out of it all day and still canā€™t get enough. Incredibleā€¦

2 Likes

Killing the dream - in place apart
Atmosphere - mi vida local
Crowbar - self titled
Rammstein - sensucht
Slipknot - iowa

Anyone else heard of/like the band Ghost? I saw one of their album covers a few months ago and thought they were a metal band at first. I had been meaning to give them a try ever since, because really Iā€™ve found it an impossible feat to find a ā€œnewerā€ band that I like, especially one that claims to be hard rock.

Started listening to this. I was expecting to cringe at the wall of sound overcompression Iā€™m confronted with every single damn time I try to listen to an album recorded in the last decade. All I can say is: thank you Ghost for not compressing the shit out of your shit. Sounds natural. I can hear real instruments all individually!

Otherwise - theyā€™ve got a pretty cool aesthetic and an original sound. Breath of fresh air in an extremely stagnant genre. I donā€™t know what their more recent albums sound like but this is by far the most listenable for me in recent years outside of a few of my favorite metal bands - whose members are all now in their late 30s/40s.

EDIT - Iā€™m bad at reading through threads before posting. :joy:

2 Likes

Yes! Ghost is amazing. The only new band that has came out in the last decade that isnt nu-metal over produced pop trash.

1 Like

Yes exactly haha. I watched part of one of their live shows and all I could think was ā€œif Mercyful Fate played Dream Theaterā€. The vocalist even looks like he could be King Diamondā€™s bastard son lol. Theyā€™re more rock than metal though, definitely avant-garde. I kind of like them.

EDIT - Okay I just watched a live performance of ā€œRatsā€ and I am fucking sold. What a kick ass band.

1 Like

As usualā€¦Iā€™m coming back to band that I used to listened in the past :slight_smile: And this time I gladly rediscovered the Dance Hall Crashersā€¦an awesome ska/punk band with two female singersā€¦

Check them out :smiley:

2 Likes

After having OTWL on repeat for a month and seeing Blaqk Audio twice, Iā€™m now searching out more darkwave music.

Currently listening to cold cave for the first time and am enjoying it a lot. Any other recommendations for bands similar to cold cave?

Check out a group called Priest, theyā€™re a dark wave synth trio from sweden. Their album called New Flesh is amazing

1 Like

Cold Cave has been my favorite band for a few years now. I have always loved Wesā€™s writing going back to his American Nightmare days and they are incredible live. As for similar type artists, Iā€™d recommend Boy Harsher, Lebanon Hanover, Minuit Machine, Drab Majesty whose a bit more guitar oriented but also fantastic. Another synth darkwave artist i recommend highly is Hante who just put out a great new album recently is touring the states right now.

1 Like

Iā€™ve also been wanting to get into more dark wave so I appreciate the recommendations.

I tend to listen to one or two things over and over until Iā€™m done and repeat the cycle with another band. Been in the mood for hardcore for the first time in awhile and have had Gorilla Biscuits and Rival Mob on repeat.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been listening to the Sisters of Mercy First and Last and Always notstop since last weekend. In general I prefer heavier and and more guitar-driven stuff but so many of my favorite bands were influenced by that album.

The only bad(?) thing now is ā€œNo Time to Cryā€ has been stuck in my head all day. And I mean ALL DAY.

No no no no time for heartache no no no no time to run and hideā€¦

3 Likes

I wore out Storm - such a deep techno album.

1 Like

I really liked his voice. I liked VNV nation, but VNV was more "selective " songs I liked. Assemblage I could tear into the full disc.

Man, Iā€™ve really been enjoying this debut album from Idle Hands.

I saw them when they opened up for Iron Maiden on the Book of Souls tour. They were great live as well.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been really into a lot of random things lately. Tallyhall and Cosmo Sheldrake and a bunch of random ā€œwavesā€ (vaporwave, chill wave, yadda yadda yadda). Iā€™ve also fallen back into old German Tokio Hotel much to my chagrin lol

Does Blaqk Audio count? lol Loving the newest album.

2 Likes

Impaled Nazarene and Type O Negative.