Adam’s tired of all the setlist complaining BS

7 Likes

Wow, I didn’t take anyone from the band as someone that couldn’t take a little feedback. He actually comes off as kind of a dick with this tweet.

2 Likes

Haha they really do read people’s comments, their humor usually goes over people’s heads. Hilarious sarcasm

2 Likes

I can understand it both ways, and really it’s a compliment to the band that they’re getting these requests. Everyone loves seeing these playlists, even if you didn’t go to the show.

If they played “Ever and a Day” for example, out of nowhere… that shit would be a buzz.

I don’t think Adam sounds like a dick at all, if anything a small piece of ranting in there. I respect it.

5 Likes

Beautiful sarcasm :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Did laugh when I saw this

2 Likes

The ‘old shit’ comment is always a good one. By definition (ATASF is only 8 years ahead of STS, and people back then crying out for ‘old shit’) Crash love should be considered ‘old shit’. It’s a decade old. Technically they are playing old stuff.

6 Likes

Agree…just the fact that he wrote that tweet makes him more of an awesome guy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I laughed and was like “fuck yeah Adam!”

The complaining was getting pretty obnoxious, now I feel a bit bad that Adam and the guys saw all those stupid complaints. At least they have a sense of humor about it

2 Likes

I expect this from Davey (he’s done it in the past), but Adam??

For what it’s worth though, humor or not this reflects poorly on the band. Plenty of old bands constantly have to deal with fans requesting old shit and/or complaining about set lists and most of them take the high road.

Frost from Satyricon commented something about this in an interview a couple of years back because they hadn’t been playing anything from their early albums and he said something like “we play what we want but as fans they have a right to their opinion and they must be allowed to feel that way”. Sure, complaining ad nauseam is probably not going to make them any more likely to play their old shit, but most bands tend to approach that issue in a mature/classy way rather than mocking their fanbase.

2 Likes

I agree 100% with this. I don’t really do social media but is the complaining really that bad? The comments I’ve seen on here and Reddit have been “disappointed but expected” when it came to the setlists. A reason why so many including myself didn’t entertain buying tickets because we knew what to expect. I haven’t come across any comments from people expecting a full, diverse show as most know that the band were only openers. Makes it look even worse because it seems like he’s only replying to vocal minority if anything.

1 Like

Right, like do they honestly believe they’re the only band that has to deal with this? You would think a group of 40-some year old men can tolerate disagreement without publicly bitching about it on social media like a bunch of preteens. I get he’s not being completely serious but there again, just look at how other bands deal with this kind of thing and AFI’s behavior comes across as embarrassing-bordering-on-antagonistic.

Edit - I’m not really on social media either. I got rid of my personal social media accounts years ago so my only exposure to it is on here. I personally don’t care much what they have to post on their twitter or instagram or whatever, so I can’t really answer your question, but there will always be people dissatisfied with the set list. I didn’t bother getting tickets for this tour because they were only opening and I would have had to travel, and I’m trying to save money because I’m traveling to see 1349 in October. Who tbh I’m way more interested in seeing these days anyway.

1 Like

The complaints are pretty bad and annoying, on insta, on twitter, on fb, etc. they’re EVERYWHERE, and I’m like “what did you all expect for a 30 min set with two completely different bands??” Like some “fans” are just being complete dicks about it. I’m annoyed by it and I’m not even in the band :joy:

And I don’t think Adams mocking anyone, the way that billy corgan (smashing pumpkins) has been dealing with similar complaints on this tour is WAY more hostile and aggressive. He reposts fans complaining and comments “I really don’t give a fuck” and whatnot.

Idk I’m personally happy Adam said something because all the complaining was just childish and getting really annoying.

3 Likes

I get what you’re saying and I’m sure it’s annoying, but they’re being equally childish about it. This has happened in the past where the band has been passive aggressive about feedback from some of the fans and honestly it makes them look like pretentious dicks. Would they rather no one show up to their shows? These are fans who are paying to see them, they’re not hurting anyone for expressing an opinion. No one is making them scroll through the comment section. They’re buying tickets, aren’t they? So what exactly is Adam looking to accomplish here other than to shame their fans for wishing they could have heard a certain song or expressing disappointment that they don’t play some of the old favorites anymore? No one’s making them play any old stuff. That’s their decision. Expecting your fanbase to be completely satisfied and not express any sort of opinion about a show is totally naive especially for a band of this stature, and it’s like he’s telling people to shut up because he can’t deal with hearing that some people don’t think the set lists are perfect.

And fuck Billy Corgan. But just because he’s been posting worse shit doesn’t excuse AFI’s own behavior.

1 Like

I mean I think there’s a difference between “feedback” and harassing your supposed favorite band on every single post on social media about how much they suck and that the setlists/concert/tour is a waste of time and money, calling them the “great disappointment,” that they should just change their band name because they’re no longer “afi” anymore because they just suck now, etc.

The fans who are actually going to these shows are for the most part having a great time and not complaining and are happily paying for these sets, because we knew what to expect with them being openers. I think it’s people who aren’t going to the shows and don’t know how opening setlists work that are constantly complaining.

If you don’t use any social media, it would definitely seem like Adams overreacting. But if you see these comments every single day on multiple platforms, it’s just ridiculous :pensive:

2 Likes

I know some people are loving that Adam took a stand or whatever, but I’m glad we’re having this discussion. This has the possibility of alienating fans which does no good. There’s a lot of power in words.

Okay, if people are leaving comments telling them they suck or whatever, that’s extremely rude, and I agree with you that’s definitely not feedback.

But then that begs the question - why doesn’t Adam just block these people if he’s had enough? I still don’t think getting into a passive aggressive tweet war with your fanbase is the right way to go about this.

1 Like

You just described trolling behavior. Surely there could be better ways to deal with trolls.

2 Likes

I think people are reading too much into it. Was a light hearted comment at the usual bollocks that people post on pretty much every Setlist that gets posted on insta/social media for the last decade. It’s aimed at the people who have nothing to contribute in any kind of discussion and basically stopped following the band years ago but continue to bitch that it’s not the late 90’s anymore and the Setlist isn’t purely nitro songs. It’s not aimed at people who have a genuine opinion or offering some sort of constructive input into what they play or that the Setlist is only half an hour etc

EDIT: Might just be because I’m British, but I thought it was great, we love stuff like this. We’ve got James Blunt and Lewis Capaldi over here, and I’m not a fan of either of their music at all, but they absolutely kill it when it comes to social media with stuff like this.

3 Likes

I get that he’s not being 100% serious but what rubs me the wrong way is that this is not the first time the band has sort of…lashed out?..at fans for saying anything about wanting to hear an old song or two. This has been going on for like a decade where the band has made these sort of sarcastic backhanded comments toward the fans and I find it so off-putting. Like would it kill them to accept that some people’s favorite album might be Black Sails and maybe they were disappointed they didn’t get to hear The Prayer Position? It’s silly that some people in this day and age expect AFI to play a lot of that old stuff, but this has always been an extremely intense and loyal fanbase and when the band says something even in jest about fans “complaining” it really looks like they’re trying to silence a certain portion of the fanbase and wishing they’d disappear. I doubt they’re really thinking that, but it’s how that sort of behavior comes across. If Adam’s tweet was only the first or second time something like this had happened, I probably wouldn’t read as much into it, but the fact is the band has had this kind of attitude for like a decade now and it just leaves a really bad impression.

1 Like