AFI songs that have 'grown' on you

Oh, no, I actually hate So Beneath You. It’s the only song I dislike on a The Blood album. I didn’t even like it live. It felt contrived and boring, a juvenile “look st me” vibe. I actually can’t express my distaste for that song enough. Hahaha. I think both songs are forced and lazy. Not that I don’t think Davey did put effort into them; the songs just don’t feel up to AFI’s usual excellence.

1 Like

Really Pablo?crash had some standouts like darling, end transmission ,torch plus all the amazing bsides,I’m biased so I loved it but it lacked a certain push,still loved it tho,I felt Burials from the opening track set the tone then I hope you suffer,wild,anxious,greater than 84, the guitar tone and Daveys vocal layering were back,it made me more excited for the next release,just like blood has me tripping for what they’ll do next!I’m working on dork I went to local record stores offered then like 10 bucks if they
Can rip a song off my vinyl and they’re pretty unwilling,my best shot would e sf this weekend and today as I’ll be filming for the afi origins.Everyone one I know with a vinyl is like using their parents model (so am i)so connecting that directs is the problem.how’s the room coming along?

I agree with you on that however I feel like the only one who isn’t too fond of Veronica sawyer smokes,I love the reference is awesome it was performed beautifully it just kind of made for a strange mix of setlists

1 Like

Haha, I get that. I remember I was confused by the song on first listen, but ended up being really fond of it. I loved how they performed it live; I just didn’t like crowd reaction. Only the girl next to me got really into it.

Carcinogen Crush. Really hated it to begin with. Actually not that bad at all. 6 to 8 is another one.

I’ve found a new love for leaving song pt2 after seeing it live earlier in the year. Seen it every time I’ve seen them live, but this time it just struck a chord with me. But home is Nowhere is another one that I fell in love with after seeing it live during the Crash Love tour

Carcinogen Crush??? Really? Wow, I’m just surprised is all.

And yeah, seeing songs live change everything. It always takes you back to that night. :slight_smile:

Think the main problem I had with it was I had totally grown tired with decemberunderground and the new crowd it attracted along with it who just wanted to hear miss murder at shows.
I have a really broad music taste, but I have to admit, at that time in my early 20’s it was probably the most linear it’s been. Put all of that together and carcinogen crush never stood a chance. But 10 years is a long time and opinions do change, things evolve and yeah, it’s nowhere near as bad as I made out back in the day. It’s not going on a best of list any time soon, but is kinda a fun little song in its own way

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that about SBY! :rofl:

1 Like

The View From Here.

I’ve heard it before and never DIDN’T like it… but damn… it’s really sticking to me here lately.

1 Like

17 crimes has finally got me I can’t get it out of my head,anxious and wild also have great choruses but I’ve always liked those,I never hated 17 crimes just wasn’t my first choice now it’s getting there.I also agree about view from here was a really out there song

4 Likes

The whole blood album took awhile to grow on me.I only liked one song kinda upon first listen.then one day it opened up to me and Noe I really enjoy the whole album from start to finish.the stranger is my absolute favorite tho.

I use to care less about The Wind That Carries Me Away. I felt like She Speaks The Language was the true final track on Blood but TWTCMA has grown on me.

The hq version of Carcinogen crush

I actually really liked CL when it came out and still do. I think Cold Hands and Darling are two very underrated gems. Though I’ve never liked IATVHTBH and still dislike it to this day.

1 Like

No Resurrection still has work to do with me.

On another note, Dream of Waking is a recent favorite.

1 Like

Still waiting on the day when I find Heart Stops to be a tolerable song

1 Like

You don’t like Heart Stops? :scream_cat: Is it just too poppy for you?

I await the day I don’t think “eww” when I hear 17 Crimes. It’s not a bad song melody-wise and I adore the rest of Burials but

1. the video and the lyrics just seem like a big plug for Pop Kids, which I think is a bit cheeky of Our Beloved Frontman :stuck_out_tongue:
  2. It doesn’t fit thematically with the rest of Burials to me, but then again, neither does Greater Than 84.
3 Likes

Nah, I almost exclusively listen to pop subgenres these days. Heart Stops just isn’t a good song imo. The chorus is so hard to get through.

1 Like

Dude I love Heart Stops.

1 Like

Aye… Greater Than 84 and No Resurrection. Two songs that still need to grow on me.