AltPress remembers bands' first music video, including AFI's "He Who Laughs Last"

Back in 1996, AFI had released “Very Proud of Ya”. In that same year AFI got their first music video for the first track, “He Who Laughs Last”. That same song would be one of the songs most remembered from those earlier days of AFI. This also goes back to those albums that has way too many songs on them, according to the band. In many interviews in the past they have stated that they like to stick to roughly 12 songs. “Very Proud of Ya” has basically double that at 23 songs.

I love this album in its entirety. In fact, it’s only a matter of time before I pop this disc in and listen to it again. This album has had several really neat shirts that are now incredibly rare for songs “File 13” and “Fishbowl”.

Anyway, it’s awesome to see AFI featured for their first music video!

Credit: AFINewsHQ

He Who Laugh Lasts was the first song I learned to play on guitar many many years ago. So it’s got a special place in my heart.

1 Like

Late 2003 - early 2004, this album and Rancid - Indestructible were the 2 albums on repeat for my 4 hour each way trips home from the first college I attended. While I love each album and love some other albums by both bands more, somehow those were the go-to for my drive every time. I have no idea how many times I listened to Very Proud of Ya on repeat that year. It’s still fantastic today.

1 Like