Any good reads?

I’m starting to read again, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Thanks!

What are some genres or books you’ve enjoyed in the past?

Probably psychological dramas. I’m reading a book about a woman with multiple personalities called Sybil. I used to read all those Anne Rice books and some fantasies under the title, Kushiel. I’m hoping someone can recommend some underground “gothic” books. Thanks.

It’s a few years old now, but you might like Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I read a book called You Let Me In (similar title but not related to the first book at all) by Camilla Bruce recently and I thought it was great, but I would suggest checking out its trigger warnings before reading as there’s some sensitive content.

The Travelling Bag and Other Ghostly Stories by Susan Hill is good too, a little different as it’s a collection of short stories but definitely got that Victorian Gothic vibe.

2 Likes

It’s a bit different, but The Devourers by Indra Das is very good. More Dark Fantasy than classically “Gothic”, but worth checking out if you’re into horror/fantasy. If you haven’t already read it, I’d also recommend Elisabeth Kostova’s The Historian (although I suspect most people who are interested in the genre have read that). The Bone Clocks, by David Mitchell is very good too, though (in my opinion) not as good as Cloud Atlas. Mary Shelley’s The Last Man is an apocalyptic romance that seems devastatingly relevant these days. Ingenious Pain by Andrew Miller is another quite different one.

Edit: @darlingiwantto I haven’t read Let The Right One In, but I liked the film a lot.

1 Like

@Ally I’m the opposite, haven’t seen the film! Was it the Swedish or the American one that you saw? I’ll have to check it out.

2 Likes

The Swedish film. It’s quite different to most vampire stories I’ve read or watched, it was… without giving anything away, such a bittersweet story. I’m not sure how it compared to the book, but I’d say it’s worth watching. :smiley:

1 Like

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

1 Like

I’ll recommend Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff to anyone that’ll listen.

First book in a new trilogy that takes place in a world ruled by vampires 27 years after the sun has failed.

The setting is vaguely French renaissance and the entry is about 800 pages long. It’s right up there in my top 10 books I’ve ever read.

1 Like