Covers (Live and Recorded)

1. What are all the covers AFI has done?
  2. What are your favourites and least favourites?

Found this on setlist.fm. It only records live covers, so a few are missing e.g. Don’t Change (have they really not played that live?! I know Dreamcar has…)

I will admit, I haven’t heard all of these, but my favourites thus far are Don’t Change (superior in my eyes to the original INXS version) and Jack the Ripper (pretty much on par with Morrissey’s version IMO).

My least favourite is Song 2 as I think it’s hard for anyone (especially someone who’s not British) to pull off Damon Albarn’s languid diction which makes Blur songs what they are (I’m not keen on Blaqk Audio’s version of Girls and Boys either). I am at least thankful they never tried to cover Parklife :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Recorded ones I forgot about:

• My Michelle (Guns ‘n’ Roses)
  • Man in a Suitcase (The Police)

-Head Like a Hole (Nine Inch Nails, from GTA San Andreas video game soundtrack)
-Whatever I Do (Negative Approach, from Punk Fiction comp)
-Ronnie II (Chaos UK, played live at least once in the early 90s and ended up on some super obscure tape comp. Also recorded in a studio but unreleased except for a clip on Geoff’s instagram a couple years ago.)

1 Like

I’m not a fan of AFI covering songs. IMO, the best covers are when an artist takes a song and makes it their own with their own signature style. AFI covers don’t change up the originals enough to be unique takes.

I loved one last caress,but holy hell my name is Jonas has me I intrigued I never knew that!

@dnlkdwll I think Don’t Change is different enough from the original but I agree that the rest of their covers (that I’ve heard) aren’t too different from the originals.
@Ksf145 Yeah, I’d love to see their version of My Name is Jonas too but I don’t even think @Pablo has that is his achive.