Curious song lyrics

So I’ve been inspired by @Midnightrunner’s recent topic about repeated lyrics across AFI albums, and after revisiting DU from cover to cover for the first time in years, I’m left scratching my head about a few things.

Mainly, this discussion is about AFI lyrics that make you think “Davey, wtf is this supposed to actually mean?”

I don’t remember this, either because it’s been a long time since I listened to Kill Caustic or maybe I never noticed it before, but:

As the infinite runs cold,
Just nine and the six are gone.
Guess I was the one to
Ride that dirty ride

I don’t know about you, but this really sounds like part of “the answer is seven” rabbit hole. Although I have no idea what nine and six are supposed to refer to here.

Any other bizarre or seemingly nonsensical lyrics you can think of?

Haha I was just talking about AFI’s mysterious lyrics to my boyfriend earlier. He likes AFI, but he’s not as into it as I am, so it’s kind of a one-sided conversation. But, one of the biggest things I love about them is the lyrics. I have a feeling that nothing is non-sensical, every lyric has some kind of meaning to it that you have to decipher, but some are so ambiguous that you can almost put your own meaning into it so the song becomes that much more relatable. And in all honesty, I don’t think I would want to know the exact meaning of all their lyrics, because I feel it would take away the relatability and novelty of it. The mystery is part of their long-term fanaticism :black_heart:

3 Likes

To me it refers to the song 6 to 8.

“Six figures enter; they’ve come to destroy the world.
They’ve called together this storm almost every night.”

I believed the 6 becoming 8 was him and whoever he was referencing in that song join the 6 calling the storm. I dont know why it’s become 9, rather than 8, maybe two other people involved instead, but those original “6 calling the storm” (whatever that means on its own) are no longer an issue, maybe 9 instead of 8 just means moving on.

Or maybe I’m just making up shit that isnt there but that’s how I feel about it lol.

Edit: Idk why I focused purely on that one line, probably because it’s the most indecipherable one to me without knowing what I said about 6 to 8. But “as the infinite runs cold” just makes me feel like hes referring to Days of the Phoenix for some reason. Like that song had lyric about the desire to constantly repeat the same dream over and over, but this says… the thing I wanted to be infinite is either running out or I’m finding it less desirable.

The last lyrics, idk what the dirty ride is, but again I think it is why 8 becomes 9 (r/brandnewsentence) because he has moved on from whatever period in his life evoked that original imagery.

1 Like

Remember that time during the Death of Seasons tour when Matt Skiba stole Davey’s girlfriend/fiance, Monika Parker?
I interpret the song as being an angry jab at Skiba for shit talking Davey’s personal life in an interview when questioned about dating Davey’s Ex.

Caustic is analogous to Alkaline.
Connect to a Three Volt. (Alkaline Trio) I hope yer battery dies.
I remain the one to blame. Demonized, purified, justified, as you let yourself show.
-I swear I hear him scream slut once in the song, but being that Davey is classy and sophisticated he omitted that from the lyric-book.

Edited for semi-proper grammar.
I can’t seem to remove the bold text
Edited a third time for more clarity by delivering the name of his ex.

3 Likes

I think Davey is referring to the Dirty ride he took Dating Monika Parker.

Yeah, that’s the most common theory I’ve heard about kill caustic. It makes sense to me, I have no idea what else that song could be about. I’ve also heard that sts was written about the Parker/skiba situation too? It’s crazy, I was looking at old photos one time and found one from 2001 warped tour and Davey is wearing a wedding ring on stage. Engaged and then cheated on in his early 20s, I get why he’s against marriage

2 Likes

I’m not sure what the name of the song is but it sounds like Davey is saying, and maybe is : “We have to, shave the face, shave the face.”