Custom AFI photoblanket groupon $8

Hello again sorry for the second thread but I thought some of you might want to take advantage of this.Since we all don’t have the art skills like Pablo to paint AFI on our walls we can have custom photos on huge blankets.I think this is dope! Yeah it is a little fan boyish or girlish but thats why we’re here right?Here’s the link I think I’ll order two.Read the reviews,you can’t beat that price!I’ll rock one on my bed if it’s too creepy I’ll put it on the wall.I don’t know if groupon is area/region exclusive if so I’ll handle it.I think it’s cool,is it a little too much though just trying to gauge my Fandom here haha.Here’s my leaders so far.It runs for 15 hours I’ll be sure to edit when the deal is up just to not have dead threads.
1 Medium 30 by 40 is $8, 2 medium are $13
1 Large 50 by 60 is $14
https://www.groupon.com/deals/n-printerpix-custom-mink-blanets

2 Likes

skills like Pablo to paint AFI on our walls

:joy:

1 Like

Haha what’s up man how you been?I stand by my photoblanket as a silver medal,I still think it’s cool!Afi photoblanket and Lion king pillows come on man that’d be awesome!After you painted everything where did you put all that awesome vinyl?

1 Like

Sir, do you have Lion King pillows? If so, I bow before you. I used to have them, but the dryer ate them.

ANYWAY, this is such a cool idea. Like, it’s a bit teenage Hot Topic-y but, at the same time, so friggin cool.

1 Like

Didn’t @Pablo have the Lion King pillows? lol :slight_smile:

Whoever has the Lion King pillows now has my infinite respect. I’m still mourning mine.

1 Like

It was definitely @Pablo with the amazing Lion King pillow

2 Likes

It was Pablo,I have space jam pillow cases (I played college ball is my excuse)on both our cases one side is the good guys and the other the bad guys,we found out we both preferred the good guy side or else we’d get bad dreams.lol.

2 Likes

Okay, so @Pablo gets respect for the Lion King ones, but Space Jam ones are just as good. You don’t need an excuse for these things. I shamelessly have a Peter Pan throw in my otherwise gothic inspired bedroom, so…

2 Likes

The king of pop himself loved Peter pan so you’re in elite company there!I love Robin Williams was lucky to see him in 2008 but he was great in hook,imagine if Michael Jackson got the part He would’ve been amazing,yes or no?Just curious never really asked anyone this but you seem qualified with the peter pan love.this was late 80s and early 90s so MJ had mass appeal and was a very good looking dude (bad era)he always was I love the guy I read all the court transcripts they had nada.Anyways Spielberg ended up cutting michael out of MJ’s own idea which was dreamworks which has the same logo neverland sported for years prior.I also have two AFI blankets and they are dope,hot topicky totally haha,fanboyish…I crossed that line years ago!

1 Like

I wrote my undergrad capstone thesis on Peter Pan. Besides witches, he’s my favorite topic to research.

I am a huge Michael Jackson fan. I was born in '90, so I missed most of the good stuff, but I used to listen to the Thriller album all the time. And he was my hero because he did the song for Free Willy.

And, OMG, Michael as Peter…I’m not sure. I think they were going for a very specific, jaded, rough around the edges older Peter, and I’m not sure if Michael could have done that. Michael really seemed to embody the innocent, sweet side of Peter, not the older, capitalist (“You’ve become a pirate, Peter,”) Peter Pan. (Fun fact: mom hated that they made Peter a lawyer, and a stereotypical one at that, because she is an attorney. Haha). I think Michael could have been a great Peter in another kind of movie. There was just too much cynicism to Hook’s Peter.

And don’t get me started on those court cases. I always felt so bad for him. Nothing added up.

I never forgave Spielberg for what he did to MJ.

And I’m so excited to move again because I can finally hang some AFI artwork I have up. I found some of the Decemberunderground era posters from the Australia dates on Ebay, and I’ve been wanting to hang those up but haven’t had the room. Once I move up to Massachusetts, they’ll be up. People can call me a fangirl all they want when that happens, but they will be up there proudly next to my Ville Valo print I bought this past year.

3 Likes

Wow that’s awesome I wrote my criminal justice thesis on the jordan chandler case vs Michael,so yeah I get what you mean.Wow you make a really good point about that movie there was a cynicism to it,if it was Disney orientated Michael would’ve killed,with the singing and passion,he had that vibrant glow and innocence.Check out The Wiz wit him and Diana Ross,he was a good actor and notice Ms.Ross had heels on during that sequence!I don’t know about heels but that looks difficult.Check it out The Wiz (3/8) Movie CLIP - Ease on Down the Road (1978) HD - YouTube. You previously mentioned what you studied I’m assuming you read about Crowley and Thelemites,as for the witches that is super interesting like the Salem witch trials.insane.What are your thoughts on witchcraft and voodoo I don’t know much but (catholicism aside)I know we’re not supposed to but do you believe or came across evidence of that being effective.If you don’t mind I’d like to hear your thoughts on that, it always freaked me out.

1 Like

I love Michael in The Wiz. And dancing in heels is hell, so hats off to Ms. Ross. He would have been fantastic in a more Disney oriented Peter Pan.

Oh, I definitely read about Crowley and Thelemites.

The Salem Witch Trials are actually a specialty of mine (I’m actually going to probably be moving up near there if not in that city itself by the end of the summer).

In terms of witchcraft and voodoo, it’s complicated. I had a weird upbringing. My family is Catholic (Italian Catholic, which makes it more intense), but I had voodoo and Wiccan influences from family friends/staff. I have also had strange experiences that have led me to do more research on my own. For example, a few friends of mine are actually witches and have often tried to get me to at least work on closing myself off to the “other side.” Allegedly, I’m naturally sensitive to the afterlife. Again, allegedly. Has weird shit happened to me? Yes. Do I want to know why? Not particularly. I’m more of a head in sand, ostrich type of person when it comes to that. But I do research ways to try and cut down on the creepy vibes I get from places- stones, herbs, candles.

I don’t necessarily believe it’s all the realm of the Devil. I take issue with such a black and white view of things. I think that intention is what defines the nature of the practice.

Do I think it’s effective? I don’t know. I can’t tell if it’s a placebo thing or an actually working thing, but I have seen people feel relieved after drinking “potions” or more holistic approaches to medicine working better than modern medicine.

And I’ve never been freaked out by it. I don’t know why. Everyone in my family is freaked by witchcraft. But I think being allowed to explore it so much, I grew a healthy respect for it. And also, its ritualistic side is so similar to Catholicism, it’s eerie.

Voodoo is interesting. The Voodoo we have in the US is an amalgamation of different traditions, and it changes as you move through the South. The area of Africa or the Caribbean the slaves originally came from defines the very specifics of the Voodoo being practiced. Really interesting. The Voodoo practiced in NOLA, the voodoo I’m more familiar with, is actually so intertwined with Catholicism now that there isn’t such a big difference. The voodoo gods were disguised as Christian figures so that the slaves could keep practicing. Over time, the distinction blurred and the two are so connected.

Now when it comes to Salem 1692, there was a lot going on in that town that contributed to the mass hysteria that happened there. There may have been women who practiced medicinal arts that some would have called witchcraft, but there’s been no real evidence of that. It was really just the wrong place and the wrong time.

If you ever want to know more about that or anything else I briefly touched on above, let me know. I just don’t want to dork out and inundate you with info you didn’t ask for. Haha.

But, personally, I find it all very fascinating, and I treat it with a healthy dose of respect and wariness.

2 Likes

I can agree with you on the weird stuff front. Friends have told me i’m sensitive to it, and frankly I don’t like living in older buildings. I grew up in a house originally built in the 1890s/1900s, burnt down in the 1920s and was rebuilt. There was definitely something weird happening in that place.

I’m fascinated to hear more about Salem. That’s pretty cool that you’re going to be near there! It’s always interested me.

1 Like

I could go on about Salem for DAYS. Ask poor @Alina. Anything in particular you want to know?

1 Like

I’ve heard it hypothesized (because at this point, could you really call anything a theory?) that moldy bread might have been partly responsible for some of the hysterics (not all of them, but maybe enough to get people riled up?) is there any truth to that? Is there any way we could tell if there was? I mean, it’s not like you could test the bread they ate, it was a really long time ago.

2 Likes

Hahaha, you guys are hiarious. I actually have a set of The Lion King, one of Hercules, and another one of… Barney.:weary:

4 Likes

That’s the ergot theory. The old theory was that, because it had been such a wet winter, the rye crop had grown moldy. Moldy rye is actually a hallucinogen. The hallucinations that it produces can also be manipulated by people around you. For example, should you find yourself tripping out on ergot, your friend could say, “Hey, isn’t that Jade in the corner playing Iron Man?” And you would, in theory, see Jade playing Iron Man. The old theory was that the girls and some villagers were tripping out on rye, and, thanks to the violent nature of Puritan sermons, were influenced into seeing the Devil and witches.

This theory has been largely debunked. My mom actually studied in undergrad under the professor who was positing this theory, so we keep up with it. One of the big problems with the theory is that now everyone was affected, as one would expect from a universal food. Also, they didn’t exhibit all the symptoms of ergot, which causes neurological disorders and gangrene. There are a lot of other reasons, but for the most part, it’s probably not the reason.

There probably was no one reason why the hysteria unfolded the way it did, which actually makes studying that much more compelling.

1 Like

I always thought there were some holes in that one, but I don’t really keep up with it.

So the current thinking is what? Kind of a ‘perfect storm’ of various things? Teenagers lying, or saying what their parents want them to say, influence of the church, women who perhaps have some herbal lore being singled out who maybe weren’t well liked by the rest of the town? Things like that?

2 Likes

Umm, there is no real consensus yet. I think that it’s really because people are looking for a simple answer, but when it comes to hysteria, there really isn’t one.

We can’t really rule out that these girls did suffer physical ailments. Betty Paris, in particular, did suffer physically.

Any number of things could have come together to create this situation. The town itself was in turmoil. There was a lot of infighting and factions. There was also the fact that the colonists were constantly at war with the Native populations. These wars were bloody, with atrocities being committed on both sides. The Town and Village of Salem were surrounded by dark woods, which Puritans genuinely believed housed the Devil. We can laugh at and dismiss that fear now, but these Puritans were incredibly afraid of his physical presence.

There was also the fear that End Times were upon them. Cotton Matther often spoke of the Second Coming in his sermons, and in 1692, Port Royal was struck by a terrible earthquake that sent the town into the ocean. Take all of that and couple it with the fact that the Puritans were always soul searching, wondering if they were among the elect, those chosen by God to go to Heaven. There were some who thought that they were destined for Hell, having had “visions” of it.

The Puritans were surrounded by death, suffered under Christian guilt, lived in incredibly small and dark homes (the elements used to make their glass for the windows actually had a dark green pigment so that not much light filtered into the homes).

But other towns were experiencing the same issues, so who knows? There needs to be more studies done on the psychology of the time.

In terms of women being conjurers, the only one who shows any evidence of playing with “magic” was Tituba, the slave. But even that we’re not sure of now. There is some belief that the girls played fortune telling games, and that is what sparked their hysteria. But of women who practiced herbal lore, there is no real evidence now. There is nothing to say that women didn’t practice herbal lore in Salem, but there is no hard evidence that I have heard of.

2 Likes