Decemberunderground Cryptic Messages

Hey guys,

I’ve seen Despair Faction a lot over the last 8 or so years but this is the first time I’ve made an account.

At some point within those 8 years, I stumbled upon an amazing forum post about the PR, story and cryptic messages on Decemberunderground and around its release. It involved Myspace pages on characters featured in the musical interlude of Affliction, the number 337 and how it’s featured in things like the 37 claps in Love Like Winter as well as the main part of Affliction finishing at 3:37, the dead tree in the artwork being the same as the dead tree featured in the Myspace pages, etc etc. However, I can’t seem to find it anymore. Has anyone got any links to the full write up?

G

1 Like

Man, I wish. This was seriously one of my favorite things about being an AFI fan when I was younger. I’m curious too if anyone has the info. If I remember correctly, there were passes being given out to like a secret show or something… it’s been so long! Lol

1 Like

Is it this one?

2 Likes

Maybe this one actually - don’t have time to read through both right now!

2 Likes

Oh this is perfect!! Thank you SO much for responding with this! I’m gunna have a great read of it tonight :grin: you’ve made my day

1 Like

That’s some crazy stuff. I love it. Can any body tell where the interlude on affliction actually came from? Or did I miss something in the reading

Hey! So I don’t know if it’s actually sampled from something (I don’t remember reading about it) but conceptually I think it’s either friends or parents of the characters Julian and Charlotte (I would imagine) shouting for their kids and having phone calls to the others.
It blows my mind every time that it happens at exactly 3:37.

1 Like

Okay so it’s gonna make me sound like an afi noob but when it comes to these kind of things I am. Who are jullian and Charlotte? Obviously they are characters but from where and what?

P.S. that interlude is one of my favorite things about that album

1 Like

It’s a little vague and I’m going by memory but way before the album came out, there were these cryptic links to 4 MySpace accounts: Charlotte Nothing (whose profile photo was of a dead tree in winter) and Julian somethingorother (and the other two I can’t remember). There’s a lot to it, but there were these phone numbers you could call and receive a voicemail to do with these characters.
There’s also a video of Davy having bandages removed from his head whilst mouthing the words “Charlotte nothing.”

I haven’t checked it for a while but do sit and read the above link for sure, it will probably contain all this info :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/KF1wrR-70Dg

^heres the video of Davy. If you understandably don’t want to follow a link from a stranger on the internet, instead YouTube search: “Narutitridestsedam“ and the same video will come up

Awesome stuff. I did read the articles but wasn’t sure if I had missed something. Thanks for taking time to do all this, it really means alot my eternal respect goes to you and yours

1 Like

Oh man it’s one of my favourite ever topics to talk about- I included a lot of it in a university essay once! No problem at all

1 Like