Favourite/cool/memorable music videos (non-AFI)

So this was touched upon in another thread and I thought it might make for a good topic :slight_smile:

Some memorable ones for me:
Placebo - Special K - Placebo - Special K (Official Video) - YouTube
The White Stripes - Fell In Love With A Girl: The White Stripes - Fell In Love With A Girl (Official Music Video) - YouTube
Travis - Turn: Travis - Turn (Official Music Video) - YouTube

…

1 Like

Oh, man.

Let’s see, Tom Petty’s (RIP) “Don’t Come Around Here No More.”

I love how surreal this video is, the way he brings out the darkness in very familiar childhood imagery and perverts it, turning it on its head and creating a dissociative feeling.

I have always been really fascinated by Manson, his aesthetic, the cutting intellect that is behind the shock factor, and his presence. This video has always struck me- the twisting of retro imagery, the sick color palette. Love it all.

I love this video- the bizarre imagery, its cold feeling, and the close ups of Ville. :wink: In all seriousness, there’s a great folk vibe to this video that works well with the imagery evoked by the lyrics.

I love the fact that this is so Tim Burton inspired and whimsical. It’s very nostalgic for me, reminding me of trips to Hershey, PA and Virginia. The colors here are so vibrant, and the art mingling wth the live action moments is fantastic.

But, yeah, those are the four I can think of off the top of my head. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just remember how mesmerized I was when I first saw this one… back in the 90s. This video was ahead of its time.

2 Likes

I love that one! RIP Michael. :frowning:

@_tonibell That Tom Petty one is amazing! Never seen it before. Apparently a lot of his other videos are good too, will have to give them a watch.

The Used video is good too, I like the whimsy of it :slight_smile:. I like quite a lot of videos with that kind of whimsical/fantasy theme.

Other honorable mentions for me:
The Killers - Mr Brightside. Sick of the song now but I love the Moulin Rouge-esque video.

P!ATD - I Write Sins Not Tragedies. I love the theatre of this video. Their song Lying Is The Most Fun…also has such a strange but captivating video.

@STORMS That video is great. It should be for the amount it cost! Although I was having a look at the other most expensive videos ever made and they weren’t all that :no_mouth:

This thread got me looking at lists of best ever music videos but it’s nice to see some ones which are less well-known :slight_smile:

1 Like

still in love with this one :slight_smile: Ă“lafur Arnalds - LjĂłsiĂ° (Official Music Video) - YouTube

1 Like

Welcome!
That is a hypnotising video! It reminds me of the apps you can get for touch-screens where you can create effects by touching the screen in different ways :slight_smile:
I have been meaning to check out more of Olafur Arnalds - he did the soundtrack to a TV show called Broadchurch, which I liked.

There’s a movie released in 2015 called “The Forbidden Room” which is a highly experimental, digressive homage to lost films. Imagine a very long episode of Monty Python with an even more surreal production. Anyway, in that film, there’s a music video nested in its weird and windy plot; cult pop band Sparks, commissioned by director Guy Maddin, wrote the song, “The Final Derriere”.
Personally, I’d rather you get a copy of this very strange film and just watch it in context (maybe “The Forbidden Room” is available to you through an interlibrary loan; that’s how I saw it). But the music video itself can be found on the internet. I don’t feel like I’m spoiling too much by sharing it here - again, you could think of it as a long episode of Monty Python - people know the Dead Parrot sketch (highly overrated, I think, but that’s another discussion) even if they haven’t seen the rest of that episode. The music video does stand on its own.

Other than that, any of The Mars Volta’s videos during the Bedlam in Goliath era stick out to me as favorites. (The Mars Volta: Goliath)

Michel Gondry’s music videos for Bjork, are up there as well. (Bjork: Army of Me)

And why not? This one’s fun too. (The Cure: Friday I’m In Love)

My dad is a big fan of Sparks and my first thought when I saw your post was “I wonder if he’s seen this. I should show him”. After watching the video, I’m not so sure I’d want to! Haha. It is funny though. I’m not usually squeamish but the lobotomy bits made me squirm!

That Bjork song is really good, never heard it before, thanks. Video is bizarre (why am I suprised?! it’s Bjork!) but good :grin:.

I meant to post this ages ago and always forgot so I hope no one minds that I’m necro-ing this thread haha.

I always thought “18 and Life” was such an iconic video. I love the cinematography especially from 2:32-2:57. It’s my favorite Skid Row song, too. Amazing that it was inspired by a true story.

(Also related: Sebastian Bach was a beautiful man.)

I always liked the video for Smile In Your Sleep by Silverstein… it’s a take of the board game Clue… with each member representing a color and having a specific weapon and the various rooms used in the board game… another fun fact some people might not know is that it was filmed in the Parkwood mansion in Oshawa Ontario (former home of the founder of General Motors Canada) … also the same house used in the Adam Sandler movie Billy Madison (and many other movies)… I grew up in Oshawa

Tool - Prison Sex
Smashing Pumpkins- Today
Nine Inch Nails - Closer