Straight-edge lifestyle

I’ve been a fan of AFI for over a decade now and was only able to quit smoking cigarettes for 3 months. How does one commit to the straight-edge lifestyle? I’m pretty good at staying vegan, but I can’t seem to let smoking and caffeine go. Has anyone else struggled with this? And how did you find your commitment to stay drug-free? Thanks

2 Likes

I quit smoking about 10 years ago by avoiding hanging out with other smokers for a couple of months. Sucked being antisocial but it did help.
You could try having something else to do with your hands like a fidget spinner or something, especially if there are certain places/situations where you know you’ll want to smoke and need a distraction, and chewing gum might help as well. Caffeine on the other hand, you’ll have to pry out of my dead hands

1 Like

I stopped smoking probably over 10 years ago as I was entering a band to potentially sing. I made the decision that day to stop and I’ve kept it up ever since. I was never addicted to cigarettes though, so it was easy for me.

1 Like

I’ve been edge my entire life. A driving force is being diabetic so, maintaining a healthy lifestyle is pretty important.
As well cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol never appealed to me. I’ve seen my (former) friends abuse substances and the damage it caused them… that didn’t look like a party I want to be invited too.

1 Like

I’m in a twelve-step program now. When I was in high school and my first years in college I was an abuser. Now it’s cigarettes. It’s a backdown on being my true authentic self. I’m afraid of my feelings. I cover them up with nicotine. I have the desire to quit, now is the time to actually come to terms with my addiction and stop smoking!

2 Likes

I’m proud of you and believe you can do it!

2 Likes

Hi there. I see this is a few months old and I was just wondering how you were doing? :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, I’m off the e-cig and still use ZYN pouches. It’s the best I can do at this point in time.

2 Likes

Good for you! :heart: It’s not easy, I know, but you can definitely do it!

1 Like

My heart is with everyone who is trying to overcome their addiction. It’s a deeply personal struggle that we each go through. I’ve been clean from alcohol,pot and other various narcotics as well as cigarettes for 5 years doesn’t seem that long it gets easier with time though. What’s important is finding your reasons. Once you have those you can do anything. Also don’t beat yourself up if you cave in, just accept it love yourself and keep moving forward.

2 Likes

Sorry for the super long post. I take addiction and sobriety pretty serious. However, on the subject of caffeine @darlingiwantto I get it. I’m a…hard person to get along in the morning with out a cup of coffee :wink:

1 Like

I haven’t touched alcohol or any other intoxicant for… I don’t really know! I guess about eight years? -But I only quit smoking middle of last year. This is kind of an awkward topic for me because when I was much younger, I was completely clean. I didn’t like myself much when I was tipsy, and I didn’t see the appeal of smoking or drugs, so it wasn’t a hard choice. Then I guess life sort of wore me down and I decided nothing really mattered anymore. I got what I deserved, though - when I quit smoking, I got really sick. I suppose it takes time to undo all that damage.

1 Like