Two alternate BSITS covers?

One is a very first sketch and the other with the girl on it…???

https://twitter.com/tranquilmammoth/status/468098917259702272

^ it’s super small… but has anyone ever seen this before?

5 Likes

The girl looks familiar, but I can’t think of where I’ve seen it. Definitely have not seen that original Black Sails sketch before though. Cool.

I wanna say the skull/crown/beard guy ended up on a flyer for the Black Sails record release shows. Maybe the girl was on a flyer around that time also?

I have never seen these before, but they’re beyond cool.

1 Like

I really wish there was a clearer version with the girl to tell what the hell is going on…

1 Like

Randomly found this thread and glad I did as don’t think I’ve seen any of these before. Very cool. Was able to find a slightly larger version of the purple poster… not that this shows much better what the hell is going on… ha!

1 Like

I’ve seen this before but I do not understand the female face or think it works at all, but maybe I’m missing something.

One of these days I’ve revisiting my Black Sails ship tattoo… I want it to be a sleeve…

I totally agree with you! That’s why I had to google it! Vines, yes… but… she is strangely close up. Is she standing in the water?! Ha. Clearly thinking on it too much.

1 Like

“My soul brings tears to angelic eyes”
“And miles away my Mother cries”

The standard art for Black Sails, meaning the CD art, is the way it is for a reason… nothing else is needed in my opinion. The best added element to the art is the hint of skulls within the waves.

1 Like

Totally agree. One of my favorite albums anyways, but I love all the covers Alan did for them. Yeah I thought of those lines too - but she must be Forbes’ Mona Lisa because it’s not at all clear if she’s smiling… sad… ?!

1 Like

Yeah, again… to me it’s a throw away… it doesn’t fit at all; it actually ruins the Black Sails vibe for me. Davey’s portrait in the artwork is the total feel for me.

1 Like