Videos and later songs - coincidences?

I noticed recently that in the Love Like Winter video there’s a lingering shot of frozen hands, then on Crash Love there’s a song called Cold Hands, and in the video for Leaving Song Part II Davey is wearing an outfit that looks a lot like what an orchestra’s conductor would wear, then there’s a song called The Conductor on Burials. Is this a coincidence that I’m reading too much into or could this be intentional? Has anyone else noticed stuff like this in AFI’s videos?

1 Like

I hadn’t noticed before, but now that you mention it there’s also Above the Bridge on The Blood Album and the bridge in the Silver and Cold video… That song almost feels like a sequel! It’s probably a coincidence, just recurring themes in Davey’s lyrics, like hating being alone but detesting the mindset of the majority, or the irony of being both scornful of and part of celebrity culture. Still, it’s interesting. :black_heart:

1 Like

Oh good catch, I’d forgotten about the Silver and Cold video! I’m gonna have to go back and watch some more old videos now and see if I notice anything else. I guess it is the recurring themes rather than it being intentional like you say, but it’s fun suddenly catching things like that

1 Like

Definitely! :grinning:

Jumping on your thread as I came across this video of Davey and Jade where the concept raised here is actually addressed by Davey in response to a question; he makes a point similar to the one you make above, @Ally : AFI - Facebook Live Chat with Davey and Jade - Aug. 29th 2017 - YouTube (Video’s from 2017; it’s them going live on FB in advance of the Australian leg of the Blood Album tour.) At 7:38 Jade starts the question and they banter on it until about 10:28 — but, if you have time to watch the entire video, I highly recommend doing so, as I found it quite insightful with them answering things at a deeper level than other Q&As I’ve seen. Hope you find it interesting!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing this!:black_heart::black_heart: