What was the first ever AFI song you heard and when?

This is exactly the same way I found AFI! I always scored highest and had the most fun when this song came out. Oldish school game systems and music. I miss those days.
And now I have the 20th anniversary on picture disc. I’m a happy boy.

We should revive old topics. Things have been getting slightly stale and slow.
:>Charlie.

“Girl’s Not Grey”. I saw the video on MTV. I know that some people were mad at them for signing to a major and whatnot at the time, but hey, I might not have heard of them if I hadn’t seen that video on TV, so I’m kinda glad they got a bit of mainstream attention in the early 00s. “Sing the Sorrow” opened the door to more underground music for me (like punk & hardcore) so uh…yeah.

When I was 14 (sooo… 2001?) my first ever boyfriend mailed me a mix CD and a bracelet he’d made, and one of the tracks on it was “Wester” and I just thought it was the most romantic thing anyone could ever send anyone else. I still LOVE that track. Bought AOD shortly after :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Days of the Phoenix on an episode of Daria! I was around 8.

2 Likes

Wayyyy back in 2003 or early 2004 my brother downloaded a bunch of songs off of Limewire when it was still a thing and I remember burning a bunch of the ones I liked onto a CD to listen to. I don’t remember which song I listened to first but I do remember that the AFI songs that made it onto the CD were; The Boy Who Destroyed the World, Morningstar, and Silver and Cold. I should have known it would lead to something more because I wound up listening to those 3 songs the most.

The first song I most likey listened to first is The Boy Who Destroyed The World, as I was a fan of the Tony Hawk games when I was a teenager, however I have no memories of actually listening to it.

My first memory of listening to AFI was when I saw the GNG video on the Mexican version of MTV, it was when they were in the blue alley painted in black, I changed the channel, then a few days later caught it again, and all is history XD

2 Likes

The first I remember was A Single Second on the Nitro Deep Thoughts compilation in 98, but it may have actually been one of the VPoY songs on the Go Ahead Punk compilation. A Single Second definitely caught my attention though.

First song for me was ”Love is a many splendored thing” on a 7 inch with various artists that i picked up in a local record store in Sweden where im from. Later that same year (1995) i moved to Oakland and got to see them live a bunch of times at Gilman and a place in S.F. called Trocadero. I still got concert posters, 7 inches, a few photos of the band which i took, and even a AFI t-shirt with Robert De Niro from those times. Im glad i discovered that first 7 inch cos i never stopped listening to them, and even though it took me a while to adjust to their newer stuff im in for it all these days.

4 Likes

Awesome!! I’d love to see some of those pictures if you have a way to post them

Here is one of Davey which I took at Gilman. Sorry for the sucky quality :slight_smile:

6 Likes

And this one was taken right after the show… I guess by some random passerby since Im in the picture.

4 Likes

This is awesome!!! So much energy in one picture. Thank you for sharing

@Loz95 do you have anymore???

Well, yes, I have a few more from the same show, but the one of Davey that I posted is the best.

1 Like

The “Girl’s Not Grey” video on the MTV VMA’s in 2003! Those days were great.

3 Likes

Girls Not Grey. I’ve always been into east coast street punk, nothing on the west coast ever really caught my attention. I was grounded, and my parents took all my stuff, and I was stuck watching MTV2-total drag if you hate pop music. Anyway, the video for GNG came on, and it was over. I immediately bought Sing The Sorrow (stole the $ from my mom’s purse, sorry Mom), and everything they had out shortly after. I’ve been a die-hard fan ever since

3 Likes

I was 13 in 2003, but Sing the Sorrow isnt the first AFI album I heard. I was involved in an MSN chat group back in the day and there was this dickhead that loved pre-STS AFI. I did not like this person but for reasons of teenage wisdom, one of the first songs I remember hearing was Today’s Lesson off SYM, and I wasnt really impressed (so my first memory of an AFI song was a cover lol).
But my friend who had also listened to AFI by way of said dickhead had been converted. So I kept trying. Eventually I figured out how to convert their screaming into music in my brain when I heard “The Last Kiss” off BSitS with careful reading of the lyric booklet while listening to the song and fell in love.
The moment I played STS all bets were off.

‘Don’t Make Me ill’ in Jim Theibaud’s section in Real Skateboards video 'Non Fiction ’ 1997.
Classic!!!

An ex of mine played me “totalimmortal” and I loved it. From there we listed to all their albums she had.

But the one I remember the most was when I was in Tower Records and they were playing, “Silver and Cold” and I loved it, and when I realized it was AFI, I almost cried. The band I just learned about made this song I just fell in love with. I was a die-hard fan from that moment on.

1 Like

Days of the Phoenix on Punkzilla Comp.

1 Like