What was the first ever AFI song you heard and when?

Also days of the phoenix!
I remember at the moment extremely clearly.
There used to be a punk music show on public access at 1:00 in the morning that I would stay up and tape on VHS.
I remember sitting on the floor at 1:00 in the morning in front of the TV and hearing the first few notes of days of the Phoenix and seeing the beginning of the video where Davy looks up slowly and has the devil lock hair going on.
It was a life-changing moment…

4 Likes

That music video is incredible.

AOD was such an awesome era.

I first heard a snippet of miss murder. A show was ending on MTV and the video came on and played for like…2 minutes if that. I was intrigued. I went out and pre ordered DU that day and explored more of their music through internet and record stores. I am glad I heard that snippet and was intrigued because since then my life changed with their music being a part of it.

1 Like

The first song I heard by them was “Wester” and it was on a compilation CD.

an ex turned me on to AFI and the first was Totalimmortal. I had a mix CD she made me and lent me her Black Sails, which I loved, but that wasnt when I became a true believer.

I was browsing through Tower Records while visiting my hometown and ‘Silver and Cold’ came on and I was immediately captivated.
It was moving, haunting, powerful and I just stood there dumbstruck and in awe with each verse, and when it crescendoed into the final chorus, I wont lie, It hit me like a strong gust of wind and I got misty.

I ran up to the clerk teary eyed and smiling and begging to know what it was and to my shock it was the new AFI cd. I bought it and every back catalog record they had and listened to them all with a passion that has never died.
It still makes me emotional to think of that moment because of how deeply it hit me. Ive loved other bands since but none have ever moved me like AFI. <3

2 Likes

Malleus Maleficarum. The first date with my wife, December of 2000, she had Black Sails on in her car. There are a lot of things I’ll always remember about that night, but the line “my skin is singed but it heals my heart, and with glowing pride I’ll wear me scars, honored by your hatred.” was what had me hooked. Been a fan since. While I’ll always have a special place for the early stuff, there isn’t an album I haven’t loved. I miss EBHC, but as a musician myself I respect bands growing and changing. I give AFI a ton of credit for always evolving, and not really caring what anyone else thinks about it.

1 Like

The Days of the Phoenix, 2001

This song was on a CD on the front of a magazine that had an interview with AFI and The Offspring - because AFI were supporting them on tour. I feel like it could have been Rocksound?

Anyway, I loved it but by the time I got my hands on Art of Drowning and discovered that I liked all the other songs too, I had missed the tour dates they had with the Offspring.

Luckily they came back the next year to do their Nightmare After Christmas show at the Astoria, which was the first gig I ever went to and I still have the hoodie that my Dad bought for me when he nipped out before the encore to go for a smoke. It still fits! (the only size left by then was XL, which has turned out well for me lol).

2 Likes

The first time I lost my shit was The Leaving Song part 2. I didn’t understand what was happening to me but I loved it. I’ll always love Sing the Sorrow as it was my first introduction to them

3 Likes

The first AFI song I heard was Days of The Phoenix in 2005 on a compilation CD of punk/alternative tracks that came with a rock magazine. This band has got me through some dark times and helped me find even more great music. :blue_heart:

3 Likes