AFI releases statement regarding Geoff Kesge's selling of old AFI records

As most of you are aware, Geoff Kresge has been selling re-issues of past AFI records including “Behind the Times”, “Eddie Picnic’s All Wet” and most recently taking pre-orders for the Dork EP, which is AFI’s first-ever record (and hardest to find). While I was personally unaware of any issue with him doing this - at the same time I have to admit I thought it was weird. I thought it was weird because otherwise, these re-issues were never advertised through any other group and or party (AFI members), etc.

Well, AFI have officially released a statement regarding these re-issues. Simply put, Geoff has been doing this on his own without consulting the band. AFI does not support the sales of these re-issues. You can read their statement below:

Our former bass player, Geoff Kresge, is selling reissues of original AFI recordings. While we remain proud of every era of our 26 year existence, and certainly do not begrudge Geoff feeling reflective towards the four years he spent with us before he quit, we are confused why he has taken it upon himself to assume control of the shared Key Lime Pie label and release these records without notifying or consulting us. We had always loved the fact that these releases were special limited edition items, pieces of history that we wanted to keep rare. Geoff has begun accepting pre-orders of the Dork EP and is including on it an unreleased song which he wrote no part of, without getting permission from the co-owners and songwriters. Geoff has never paid anyone in the band, including Mark Stopholese, their share of the proceeds of these sales, despite our repeated requests that he do the right thing and pay our shares. While we do feel for what we can only assume is Geoff’s financial need, it simply is not fair for one person – a person who left the band willingly in 1996 - to benefit to the exclusion of the other owners of these recordings and writers of the songs. As fans, of course, we support your right to buy as you please, but we wanted you to know that we do not support these sales.

Source: link below

I will admit that I ordered several copies of the Dork EP re-issue with reasons that many who do NOT own the original can relate to. However, I will say that my wife and I had also accidently ordered several of the “Eddie Picnic’s All Wet” instead of the Dork and tried to contact “Rick”? from Atom Age Industries for a refund and never heard back…

Regardless, be sure to read the statement. I can say that I personally will NOT be supporting Geoff any longer. My purchases will go through AFI’s official store and to AFI directly on their tours.

ALSO, Matt Wedgley of Wedge Records has responded to this statement with some clarity as his company released the “Fly in the Ointment 7”:

Wedge Records is owned and operated by me, Matt Wedgley and nobody else. There are no partners or employees. I consider the guys in AFI (past and present) dear friends of mine. I have never heard one complaint from any member or anybody in their management with regards to myself or my record label. I have released these records out of nothing but love and I am proud of the hard work that I put in to make them as cool as possible. I have been friends with Geoff as well as the other members of the band for over 20 years. Geoff has always helped me out with graphic design work for the label and he’s always done it free of charge. I have always paid every artist on Wedge Records what I promised and more and I will continue to do so for as long as I live. If anybody feels that they’re owed any money or anything for that matter, they can contact me directly on IG or my personal email mattwedgley@gmail.com

Source: Viewed in his comments here: AFI Headquarters on Instagram: "Don't buy from Geoff. Statement from AFI's Facebook." Thanks @LordOfTheLeftHand for the heads up!

1 Like

Wow. What a bummer. I hadn’t pre-ordered it yet but I was going to. Not anymore :frowning:

@STORMS and you never heard anything back? So shady

1 Like

I’m glad you caught this too. I was coming to post about it myself.

1 Like

Not to be mean…but if he needed to make money, maybe he should’ve just kept playing bass with Tiger Army :neutral_face:

I always found it weird that AFI never officially posted anything about it on an affliated page, it’s why I never ordered it. It all seemed a little odd.

2 Likes

No… and my wife contacted them first and heard nothing, so then I tried. Nothing…

There’s $60 we won’t get back. :frowning:

I’ll tell you a secret as to why I was trying to order four copies of the Dork reprint… I was going to give some of them away on here and keep one for myself. :frowning:

Oh well… I just kinda wish this would’ve been known a while ago and not now.

2 Likes

It’s good you had that foresight. I guess I was blinded by the thought of getting the Dork.

Oh well, no more.

1 Like

I wouldn’t get too down about it, how we were supposed to know before now?

I say if you already pre-ordered anything before the statement, you did nothing wrong. If you ignore it now and still order it, then you’re doing something wrong.

3 Likes

Ah that’s rough. And ya, that’s an awesome idea in theory! Too bad the band isn’t getting their fair share. I wonder why they waited this long to talk about it. Perhaps they tried reaching out to Geoff first.

2 Likes

Very true. Yeah, I’m no longer supporting Geoff. Now, I don’t care about missing out on the Fly in the Ointment 7’s where they came with the 3D glasses.

Yeah, all good questions… I’m sure there will be many fans who feel the way we do.

1 Like

From the sound of it, that’s what it seemed like they did. Once upon a time, they were all really good friends. I’m sure they at least tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, before doing anything about it like this.

1 Like

Yep, sorry, right there it was in the middle of the statement:

Geoff has never paid anyone in the band, including Mark Stopholese, their share of the proceeds of these sales, despite our repeated requests that he do the right thing and pay our shares.

Maybe THAT’S why… perhaps they knew (pretty obvious, right?) and were trying to get him to do the right thing and finally, they had enough and released this statement?

1 Like

It might be worth making the distinction that Wedge (Matt Wedgley) did the Fly in the Ointment reissues, NOT Geoff/Key Lime/Atom Age.

I don’t know if the Wedge reissues were on the level or not, but I really hope they were. Fly in the Ointment rules hard and deserves a repress because every AFI fan should hear it.

All this stuff regarding Geoff is a huge bummer for sure though. It would happen when I finally spring for one of these, as Dork was the only one I don’t have an OG version of.

1 Like

To the best of my understanding, basically, the problem with Geoff is that he is re-releasing things that were released on Key Lime Pie Label, which was the label that all the members of AFI owned. So they all owned all those songs.

Technically with Wedge, Matt Wedgley owns the songs they put out on their label, and they would’ve probably signed some agreement that they’d make some amount of money and Wedge Records could re-release.

Thus the Fly in the Oinment re-release, as well as the Punk Fiction that just got announced, are probably all legitimate.

Statement from Wedge, from the comments on the afinewshq instagram post about this…

“wedgerecords Wedge Records is owned and operated by me, Matt Wedgley and nobody else. There are no partners or employees. I consider the guys in AFI (past and present) dear friends of mine. I have never heard one complaint from any member or anybody in their management with regards to myself or my record label. I have released these records out of nothing but love and I am proud of the hard work that I put in to make them as cool as possible. I have been friends with Geoff as well as the other members of the band for over 20 years. Geoff has always helped me out with graphic design work for the label and he’s always done it free of charge. I have always paid every artist on Wedge Records what I promised and more and I will continue to do so for as long as I live. If anybody feels that they’re owed any money or anything for that matter, they can contact me directly on IG or my personal email mattwedgley@gmail.com

So I guess that means the Fly in the Ointment and Punk Fiction reissues should probably not be considered as part of this dispute.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for pointing that out… I updated the first post.

I hope the band is okay with the FITO re-releases, because the vinyl colors and such are super bad-ass.

1 Like

Damn. I just saw this, and was going to ask if everyone saw it. I hadn’t ordered anything. From a collector’s stand point, this creates a lot of issues. Sucks for everyone.

1 Like

@STORMS , figured you might want to add this to the original post now.

1 Like

This drama is kind of bumming me out. I hate when stuff like this happens.

2 Likes

Same here… there’s little to be said otherwise. I feel kinda stuck in between.

Regardless, I won’t be buying anymore of these records.

1 Like