B-Sides and Rare Tracks

Nah, it’s pretty forgettable as a whole. It’s as bad as DU though. I recently listened to DU for the first time in a couple of years and remembered why it’s been so long. I skipped just about every song except Prelude and Miss Murder. That album has not aged well at all. It’s very much a product of that era in music. I remember really liking it when I was 16. Now I can’t even get through the whole album.

This is kind of a thread hijack, but @dnlkdwll said a thing that I think is interesting with DU. I agree that it is a product of its time and a little hard to listen to (and especially hard to look at the band during that era) now, but counterintuitively, 10+ years later I like it more than I did at the time. Like, given the context of AFI’s whole career I’m ok with it, knowing that they aren’t there forever.

With Crash Love, that was the beginning of AFI breaking out of their setlist autopilot a little, so the live era makes me think of that album more highly than I might have otherwise. I do agree CL and DU are the AFI records with the fewest standout “HOLY SHIT, THIS PART” moments for me.

2 Likes

I completely agree. I will always find DU endearing since that was my introduction to the band, but if I had to sum up rock music in mid-2000’s, this album would be the poster child. The

I’m glad they were able to get away from Interscope. Not all blame lies with the label, but with Burials it felt like a reset for the band. It felt like the direction the band should have went in following STS. Then Blood just continues that. Can’t wait to see what comes next.

2 Likes

I remember not liking DU when it came out. The setlists for this era were TERRIBLE. But in retrospective I like it a lot. The Killing Lights is in my top 10 songs. Seeing Davey live for the first time singing Prelude was awesome.

I loved CL when it came out and I love it still. Darling I Want To Destroy You is in my top 3 songs.

As for Burials, I didn’t like it when it came out…

I still dont.

The DU setlists were so so lazy. Really wasn’t a fan of that tour

2 Likes

They catered to the new fans so heavily on that one. I feel that The Blood Tour had the most steady setlists in a while.

1 Like

So were the Burials setlists. They played more songs from Burials on the Blood tour than they did on the Burials tour. It’s almost like they went on tour in 2013 and forgot they just released an album.

2 Likes

I would love to know how the process of deciding which songs go on a setlist went through the ages.

Gotta ask Jade. He creates all of the setlists.

1 Like

Some of the blood tour setlists were incredible. Best setlists since sing the sorrow and before. Huge amount of variety and really mixed it up at times.

2 Likes

I liked DU when it came out and I still like it…however I did not like CL when it came out, but it’s grown on me and it works in context of the bands over all catalog of songs.

I might have said it before, but the b-sides for Crash Love are so much better than the album itself.

2 Likes

One day I want the band to stop being so secret-y and let the fans know what happened between 2007 and 2009 and what led to such a terrible album (for AFI standards.) They must not have a ton of love for that album since they haven’t played the songs live much since the tour for the album.

2 Likes

I’m not sure anything in particular happened. Every band has a duff album (or two, or three, no names mentioned :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). But even those albums tend to have some standout tracks despite the overall album being not so good. End Transmission is one of my all time faves :star2:
And as @insectpins said, the b-sides are great, so listened together as a whole, CL ain’t so bad!

I loved DU,I think it was due to the excitement of a followup to STS plus my involvement with 5flowers (remember how crazy we were deciphering videos,calling numbers,making trips).I love DU to be honest,when I first heard Summer Shudder,Love Like Winter,Kiling Lights,Kiss and Control,37mm,and Endlessly those were songs that would not be forgotten for me plus how do you follow up STS which was perfect,I wasn’t fond of CL,I love torch,Darling is one of my top 10 easily,theRe seems some filler quality tracks but we love these guys and they gave us plenty!

Dnlkdwll-I love your statement it is very well said,burials was more like a reset after sts Ill always love DU but Burials sure left off at a better place paving the way for blood,we can only ponder where they go next

1 Like

Transference and Dream of Waking

Transference is a fantastic song. Hunter’s lead vocals in the chorus really do something special for it.

1 Like

As you pull another rabbit from your hat. :wink:

I recently revisited Dream of Waking… holy damn is that a great song. Transference as well… goodness. Transference makes me also think of “Lower It”.

i dont think this is actually an unmastered version of this cover, i spent a lot of time comparing the audio with the final, and it makes more sense to me that its just a low quality copy that someone maybe got ahold of early.