Careers - what's everyone doing now?

After some gigs as an English teacher, tour manager, and accountant, I’m in grad school studying Computer Science. Next up, maybe software engineer or something to do with cybersecurity would be cool.

It would be great to hear some inspiration from those of you who have found your calling (or made peace with not finding a calling? :frowning_face: ) AND to hear from others who are still searching for their place in society.

3 Likes

When I was 14 years old…I played Mortal Kombat and since that moment on…I knew I wanted to be a developer :slight_smile: I started with Turbo Pascal on a Mac…but sucked at it so let it go for several years…when I finished school and went to University…I went for Computer Science…but on my C++ course…I got a score of 1…yep…1 over 20…I totally thought about moving to Psychology or something like that…but…didn’t gave up…took a Sabbaticalyear…and start learning on my own…then joined a College and got my degree…worked for 11 years as an ABAP Consultant and then joined the company that I have been working for the last almost 8 years…first in Montreal, then Palo Alto and finally Toronto…

I love programming and that’s what I do for a living :slight_smile: Lately I’m doing 3D Modelling and Virtual and Augmented Reality…

Point of the story…even when you suck…don’t give up your hope…I went from 1 over 20…to work for a huge company doing programming every single day :wink:

So…BTW @VictoriousJenn it would be awesome to have a fellow Computer Science here in the forums! :smiley:

6 Likes

Wow! Yeah, CS profs can be difficult graders, to put it politely, and Sabbaticals are the best!

I do love programming, the logic of it. It’s like “composing” an essay or song, just in a different medium.

1 Like

I’m a lawyer and just I finished my master on corporate law

6 Likes

Well, I’m still in school, but I’m really trying to wrestle and have been for a while, I’d be cool to wrestle Jimmy Havoc considering he’s a fellow fan too​:sunglasses: WE COULD HAVE A WAR!:rofl:

3 Likes

I have a degree in Cultural Anthropology (which is a BA in the USA, but a BS in every other country). I work in a hospital making the schedules and trying to keep floors staffed. The people are good, but the politics suck a lot of the time. I spend a lot of my free time writing fiction, and playing guitar and ukulele.

4 Likes

I work in retail management and it took me a while to get to where I’m at now.

One thing I’ve learned over the years is, you may find yourself very good at something you didn’t plan on. For example, my wife would say I’m a natural with the public and customer service, but, my dream career is to become an actor, but I have never pursued it only because I never thought I’d have a chance.

5 Likes

Lawyer + painter! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(I saw the thread where you painted your wall.) Amazing!

If you’re as good at lawyering as you are at painting, you’ve got it made!

2 Likes

I’m a lab analyst working at a lab that tests medical devices before they go on the market. I have always wanted to work in a lab, but always wanted to be in the DNA/genetics field. But, I don’t mind where I’m at, it’s not as stressful as my last position at a microbiology lab so that’s been good.

6 Likes

Sounds very cool. Good for you.

I’m finishing my masters degree in Fine Arts soon, but I don’t really have a solid plan after I finish that. In my free time I paint and search for new music :3

4 Likes

Hello fellow scientist, I’m currently getting my PhD in neuroscience so I’m always in lab :joy:

4 Likes

I work at an online automotive auction company. Left the car dealership world after 9 years. Couldn’t be happier. And still going to school to get my bachelor’s, which I think has been the longest college career for a 4 year degree, in history.

2 Likes

I am just now getting my diploma from NAU for a BS in Psychology. However, I will have to wait to get my master’s to become a Licensed Psychologist. I wish I had gone into Neuropsychology, but that has passed. Right now I am looking for an internship and maybe a job as a case manager. Or, I could write a book if I can make any sense from it.

1 Like

I think I’m doomed to SSDI for the rest of my life unless I can sell paintings as a living. I want to write a book but am afraid I don’t have much of a thesis or clarity of thought. What I have written so far is just random thoughts all jumbled together. It might take a lifetime to make anything out of it. But, I am a decent artist. If I could harness my creativity and delve into painting, I might have a future in it. Hopefully I can earn a living instead of milking the government.

1 Like

I’ve taken a new approach to my writing. I’m writing a fictional novel instead of a confusing mess. So far, I only have like five pages, single-spaced in a Word document though. The last creative writing class I’ve taken was in seventh grade. I wish I knew how to flesh out the storyline instead of making it so action-packed it only turns out to be 30 pages or something. Well, this is a career choice that I have my heart in. I hope it pans out.

After spending far too long in HR, which was okay but boring, I took a climate science course a few years ago and I now work in climate change strategy. I love it as I get to work across everything from energy and transport to forestry and communications.

1 Like

Wow. You’re here to really make a difference! My sister wants a change as well. She has Davey’s values about humanity about how society sucks and whatnot. She’s getting her Master’s in Epidemiology. I really look up to her even though I’m older. I don’t really care about saving people anymore - I’ve lost that drive. Though I do have a BS in Psychology. I think people are basically good and I’m here to help people with trauma, so I guess that’s sort of a savior’s story. But climate change is something we should all care about unless we want to disappear like the dinosaurs.

I’m in the military and it super doesn’t agree with my personality. You probably wouldn’t know it to look at me since I’ve been in 10 years. But I’m posting today because I’m excited! But terrified! But excited! Soon I’ll be getting out (most people dont get out on purpose after 10 years but I’m not gonna fall for the sunk cost fallacy.) and I’m so ready to move on to the next thing! Let’s goooo!

2 Likes

Thank you for your service :smiley:

1 Like