Create your dream set list

That’s kind of what I love about EP’s in general, to be honest. It’s easy to put out absolutely killer EP’s, because you only need four or five really good songs.

Albums have ten to twelve tracks, and it’s hard to make sure all of those are as good, albeit, AFI is pretty solid with not having any albums with songs that are notably just awful. However, their EP’s were always all killer, no filler.

1 Like

Yeah, EPs are a great way for bands to shine, but they can turn out so epically bad. There’s a band I used to listen to who put out like 5 EPs before their first album; most of the EPs are good, but one has a song that you can tell they didn’t know what to do with.

For everyone into the idea of Halloween shows (count me among you), are you all aware of the Haunting of the Bay shows that happened at Slim’s back in 2001? I unfortunately wasn’t living on the west coast and didn’t have the financial means at the time to hit these up, but at least a couple of CA friends I know were there.

1 Like

I am aware of them, I just mean they haven’t done anything like that in a long while, unfortunately.

1 Like

Yep, I heard of them. But, alas, I was 11 and there was no way in Hell my parents were going to let me go clear across the country for a show. And I wouldn’t have gotten in. Oh well.

Alright, cool. Just wanted to make sure that pretty-close-to-dream-setlist weekend made it into this thread. I was 19 at the time. Even when I think about how crazy the second half of 2001 was (for reasons both good and bad), I still kinda ask myself “how did you not find a way to make this one happen?” when I think about those shows. Haha.

1 Like

I’m still bitter that I was too young to pull that off, though I did see them play Fall Children live when I saw them at Warped that year. But thanks for letting us know!

1 Like

I want @LordOfTheLeftHand’s set list from '99. LOL.

1 Like

I was at the Baltimore show! Maybe we got so many songs because I met them before the show and thanked them for their music! :wink::heart:️:heart:️:heart:️:heart:️:heart:️:heart:️:notes::sunglasses:

2 Likes

I was lucky enough to see Fall Children a few times back in the day, but I do miss it. Someone got a great video of what was probably my favorite time I ever saw it:

FALL CHILDREN

2 Likes

I have never seen that performance on YouTube before. Thank you for sharing. My favorite AFI era. I love all AFI, but Art of Drowning was my favorite.

1 Like

… what a terrific show. Even how Davey dressed… to this day, I am jealous of his hair. I used to have a devillock like that back in 2004/05, but I of course have like zero photos to prove, When were smart phones a thing? LOL.

Resurrecting this thread:

Perfection for me would be:

1. Prelude 12/21 (DU)
  2. White Offerings (Blood)
  3. Heart Stops (Burials)
  4. End Transmission (CL)
  5. A Deep Slow Panic (Burials)
  6. 37mm (DU)
  7. Fainting Spells (CL)
  8. I Hope You Suffer (Burials)
  9. She Speaks the Language (Blood)
  10. The Great Disappointment (STS)
  11. Synaesthesia (STS)
  12. Ever and a Day (AoD)
  13. 6 to 8 (AoD)
  14. The Interview (DU)
  15. Love Like Winter (DU)
    Encore 1:
  16. …but home is nowhere (STS)
  17. God Called In Sick Today (Black Sails)
    Encore 2:
  18. Silver and Cold (STS)

Black Sails=1, AoD=2, STS=4, DU=4, CL=2, Burials=3, Blood=2

Claiming 18 because Prelude is short. So hard to condense it to 17 - would add This Time Imperfect, Morningstar, Wester, Cruise Control, He Who Laughs Last and Brownie Bottom Sundae if more songs were allowed.

2 Likes

11 and 17… yes, a dreamy set list. :slight_smile:

Miseria Cantare
Sacrifice Theory
Narrative of Soul Against Soul
Summer Shudder
End Transmission
Of Greetings and Goodbyes
Synesthesia
The Conductor
Still a Stranger
Too Late for Gods
Kiss and Control
This Time Imperfect
Death of Seasons
On the Arrow
Totalimmortal

The Interview
…but home is nowhere

That was even more difficult than I was expecting.

3 Likes

LOL… yeah, it’s a common response.

Welcome btw! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! Love the site.

2 Likes

A true dream setlist would have to include Prelude 12/21, Girl’s Not Grey, Fainting Spells, 37mm, and whatever other songs (Summer Shudder? Breathing Towers to Heaven?) floated into my sleeping brain, including those anomalies that do not exist in the AFI discography. If, by some miracle, they could be found on the infamous iJade, I would require their performance (Gosh, who knows how many imagined "The View From Here"s there would be).
Otherwise, this would be a favorite of mine:

Strength Through Wounding
Hidden Knives
Girl’s Not Grey
The Leaving Song, pt. 2
Above The Bridge
The Interview
Wester
The Face Beneath the Waves
The Despair Factor
Feed From The Floor
Now The World
Love Like Winter
…But Home is Nowhere
Okay, I Feel Better Now
Days of the Phoenix

This Time Imperfect
This Celluloid Dream

Totalimmortal

All songs tuned 1/2 step down.

2 Likes

Today’s perfect set list:

1 Like

Bringing back my dream setlist because it will never happen, but it’s a dream.

But, I mean, come on. Have any of you been to Salem, MA? That would be an epic place for an AFI show.

1 Like