šŸ”Ŗ ! Miss Murder Problem!

Guitar-driven music in general isnā€™t exactly popular right now either and hasnā€™t been for close to ten years or so. Promoters know the money is in rap and EDM right now, so they donā€™t really have an incentive to invest in a band like AFI. Which is sad, but it is what it is.

3 Likes

Thx for the Link @vanished iā€™ts very interesting to know how they created this Song xD
Ok he doesnā€™t said that he hate it, he said that itā€™s not the best song of the record. And this is true endlessly she said and love like Winter for example are even better.

And Yes AFI is not a Band for everyone :slight_smile:

@Pablo Really? Is this even possible? :thinking:

Yeah, all playbacks on Spotify are reflected on charts

Iā€™m mean thatā€™s true but itā€™s not that simple. 1,500 streams = 1 album unit sold. I doubt a few people leaving their Spotify open is pushing the band up the charts. Things like giving an album download away with a concert ticket inflate albums sales more effectively.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure itā€™s not simple at all, but Iā€™m totally, 100% sure that the geniuses at AFI News HQ advised to do that haha.

I still love it but I agree after seeing it live 50 times I wish it could be replaced with something else with that said I still scream the hell out of that shit :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I assure you they dont mary Josh and Dan all have super busy lives and are just normal people like us they just happen to be lucky to work with velvet hammer mgmt

Yeah he hated it and wanted the view from here on the album instead its on the yahoo spin series interview if im not mistaken

1 Like

I saw the post myself. I tried to find it, but they deleted everything with this ā€œnew Eraā€

The thing is that I think they kind of contributed to that. They could still be pretty huge fish in a smaller pond if they wanted to. I mean ETID is still able to sell out shows as a headliner. But at smaller venues. But if AFI wants to play for more mainstream audiences then its going to be on these opening slots. The thing I feel lately is that itā€™s the Jade and Davey project. It doesnā€™t appear that Adam and Hunter are in the writing process anymore. At least going by the liner notes. I really just think AFI needs to shake it up or something. For the first time in my 21 years of being a fan, Iā€™m sadly just finding myself bored with them.

Thing is, AFIā€™s headlining shows can fill bigger venues than ETIDā€™s headlining shows. Not throwing shade at ETID of course, love those guys (and I saw them recently with Coheed and was amazed). Iā€™d say theyā€™re basically at the level of a band like Bad Religion these days, in terms of popularity. They can still sell out (or come close to selling out) 1000-2000 cap venues.

2 Likes

Also being said they are bound by contract to play it Adam has told me so

3 Likes

That makes sense and it understandableā€¦

I donā€™t know why people donā€™t like Miss Murder. I have and had no problem with it, I think itā€™s a fun song. Actually, I was more irritated with Girlā€™s Not Grey being overplayed during those years. Now, I donā€™t mind it so much. But, to put it into perspective - there are bands I like to go see and more often than not I want them to play their best-known song. I recently saw Papa Roach and honestly, even though Iā€™ve heard it a million times I would have been extremely disappointed if they did not play Last Resort, even though I wondered if they were sick of playing it at every show. To contrast, when I saw Depeche Mode they only played songs from their obscure new album, nothing they were known for. And their show sucked, hard. I will never go see them again. So, I would prefer they still play their more well known songs (even girls not grey) if it means staying afloat with their ā€œpopularityā€. Artists gotta make money to stay in business like everybody else :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

There are bands and I stick papa roach in that category (Andrew WK is another), that release a single on their first or second album, and it goes massive and They embrace it and basically build their career around it. thereā€™s nothing wrong with that, and papa roach do have some really good songs more recently, but they will always be defined by last resort and they are cool with that. Other bands will have a massive hit and choose not to ride that wave, preferring to do things the way they want and not be stuck to being ā€˜the band that plays that one songā€™, sometimes itā€™s to their detriment in terms of commercial success but often they have a more close knit passionate following. Passenger is a good example, could have been Ed Sheehan big (they are mates) after ā€˜let her goā€™ exploded (900 million hits on Spotify compared to his next biggest at 46 mill), but pretty much chose not too, and in a lot of ways this was the best decision for longevity and having that passionate following.

3 Likes

I was a fan back in the STS days. When Miss Murder came out, it was a very exciting time. AFI was just breaking into MTV, had already won a VMA for Girls Not Grey. For me, I was ecstatic every time an AFI video played on MTV, because to teenage me it was like telling mainstream pop-listeners ā€œin your face! This is what real music sounds like.ā€ Seeing Davey in his crazy style on the TV screen among bona fide celebrities gave a sort of validation to me-- I might be unconventional, but I can still land among the stars!

This is the climate that Miss Murder conjures for me. The excitement of driving to NYC to see AFI play a live set to promote DU on MTVā€™s show TRL in Times Square. The feeling of evolution, progress, and success-- being accepted for who we are while not ā€œfitting inā€. It was just the feeling I needed as a teen stuck in Boring High School. Thatā€™s why I love Miss Murder (besides that itā€™s just a good song).

The problem is, the whole misfit, non-mainstream thing IS part of AFIā€™s charm. When you take that away and bring it mainstream, which Miss Murder sort of did, lots of people felt they had lost the old AFI, and stayed a little bitter at the song. At least thatā€™s my understanding. I think the reason I didnā€™t feel that way is that no matter how many times an AFI song played on MTV, I never felt like we were any less of the unconventional tribe that we are. To this day I have yet to hear of a Justin Beiber fan who knows who AFI is. (Maybe thatā€™s just because I donā€™t know any JB fans! lol). Also, by the time AFI released Crash Love, I had already gone off to college and gotten distracted by other things, so I never had to experience the feeling of ā€œlosingā€ the old AFI to MTV/radio.

8 Likes

I love Miss Murder along with all their other songs. I hope they keep playing it at their shows and hopefully I will be able to see them live again.

3 Likes

I love Miss Murder! Especially because it gave Hunter that famous bass riff. The video was awesome too! It showed how Davey was kind of this Damian Thorne figure who was doing deals with a murderous woman because he had no choice. Almost as if she were part of his subconscious? I could be reading it wrong. But it is a very powerful song that deserves credit.

1 Like

I think a majority of the fan base having heard that as a single felt that it was the first real step away from afiā€™s old sound and came to the realization that their would be no return to form. If you think about tracks off sing the sorrow like girls not Grey, death of seasons, leaving song part II, dancing through Sunday and bleed black, tracks that still had that punk/hardcore bite and compare it to Decemberunderground which had a few song with teeth but was nothing like sing the sorrow. I believe that was the big influencer of peopleā€™s disdain for miss murder. It was also a song played by millions of people who never did and still donā€™t care for or understand afiā€™s motivation and meaning and that may be a big motivator as well. Personally, Iā€™m burnt out on the song though it has its merits. Love like winter was the track that did it for me. Just my thoughts.

1 Like